Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Biblical Servant Hood -Part 4- Servant vs. Slave

Phil 2:17 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.

 "Consider the perspective of a slave. A slave sees all of life from the viewpoint of slavery. He does not see himself as possessing the same rights as free men and women. Please understand me, when this slavery is involuntary it is cruel and dehumanizing. When the slavery is freely chosen, however, everything is changed. Voluntary servitude is a great joy.  -Richard Foster:

I do not want to posses the same rights as the world, I have no desire to be drunk, or to lust over other men, or to covet my neighbors possessions.  We, all humans, have all been given free will, and with that, the choice to do what we want with our life.  I have chosen to become a slave to Christ, not to man nor of my flesh.  I have voluntarily sold myself to Jesus, and my only desire is to do as He asks.  I do not look back at my worldly life as a loss, but I instead look at my future with Jesus in great joy, hope, and excitement.  There was nothing for me in my old life, but I know that while serving Jesus He will treat me like royalty, even as I am a slave.

"The image of slavery may be difficult for us, but it was not hard for the apostle Paul. He frequently boasted of his slavery to Christ, making lavish use of the first-century concept of the "love slave" (that is, the slave who, out of love, has freely chosen to remain a slave). We do our best to soften Paul's language by translating the word "slave" as "servant." But whatever word we decide to use, let us be certain that we understand that Paul meant he had freely given up his rights." -unknown

It is hard for us to look at the term slave beyond our 1700's history in the United States, but there is more to being a slave than beatings and mistreatment.  The type of slavery we, as Christians, sell ourselves into is one of love.  We want to be slaves to a master that treats us so well.  We are always protected, cared for, and given much more than we deserve.  Who wouldn't want to be sold out to that?

Acts However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

Our life apart from God will give us nothing to satisfy our souls, therefore, it is worth nothing.  Desire brings value, and if we no longer desire things of this world, it is then worth nothing to us.  Instead we only want to do what pleases our father.    Its another perfect example of being purposed, our aim should be to complete the task Jesus gives us.  John 8:29 says "I do only those things which please the father".  This is straight from Jesus' mouth, we should follow His example to want to please His Father, and to only do what He has requested us to.

  "Therefore, the fear that we will be taken advantage of and stepped on is justified. That is exactly what may happen. But who can hurt someone who has freely chosen to be stepped on? Thomas A. Kempis instructs us to be 'so subject that all men may go over thee and tread upon thee as upon mire of the street.'" -unknown

Now, with the vision of slavery as mistreatment, it is easy for us to distort our position as slaves for Christ.  He does not call for us to be taken advantage of, for you to feel like you must answer every cry and call for help.  There is an army of believers in the church who must all take their part and share the burden.  God may call you to serve in one area, and not in another, and that is okay.  As  long as you are serving as it pleases Him.  This is not an excuse for anyone to tell you that you must serve until you have nothing left.

On the other hand, our definition of "being taken advantage of" may be completely different than someone else's.  I have the sweetest older couple that lives next door to me.  My husband and I love to help them when we can, we will spontaneously mow, rake, and remove snow for them, with no desire for payment.  She feels like she is taking advantage of us, and will offer money and almost beg for us to take it.  Sometimes we do, just so she can sleep at night, but to us, this is a free act of kindness. In this instance, I am willing to be taken advantage of because I find so much joy in doing so. 

With everything in life there is a balance.  God is the only one who can direct and guide your service.  As long as you are asking Him where He wants you to go, and what He wants you to do, you will be a Biblical Servant.

Happy Serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment