Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Just another thing I do"

I love the words of wisdom from Oswald Chambers, the problem comes in desiphering it.  His studies are usually wordy and creates an amazing enviroment for picking, processing, and really digging deeper.  I'm not objecting to this in any way, but the season of my life makes this process painfully slow.  I can maybe get one devotional done a week, and I still feel I'm lacking the internal processing that I love so much.  My mind feels bombarded by other issues which seem far less important, but are ever present.  You know, the dishes, kids neeing water, taking little ones potty, and teaching a 5 year old to read.  Okay, so after I listed it, I guess there is some merrit there.  But I feel that there is no consistancy in my daily devotion.  I'm grabbing bits and peices thorugh out the day and I some days have almost no focus on the things of Heaven. 

Anyway, my point is, I feel so very off from where I'd like to be.  Then the good ol' O.C. reminded me today, (well, actually November 14 if you want to go here and read it) that it is very easy to make consistancy with the Lord a fetish.  To just go about our things in an empty, imitation of a relationship with God and more as an instinct.  There is nothing wrong with consistancy, but if we look at the life of Jesus, there was never a more inconsistant being; but He was never inconsistant with he Father. 

This life leaves tons of room for consistancy (mundane everyday stuff), but I guess I can thank God that I have to search Him out.  I have to make time, find time, and sometimes steal time in order to be with Him.  I'm able to take my mundane activities of consistancy and I get to turn them into meetings with my maker.  Dishes become a worship service, just ask my kids- they are usually yelling at me to be quiet.  Folding clothes becomes a time of prayer over the one who wears the garments, every bite of their food holds a blessing. 

I feel God asking me, you will worship and follow me in the fanatical things;  thats the fun part.  Now follow me in the quietness and consistancy of your home life, but don't make it consistant, don't make it boring, don't make it "just another thing I do." 

No comments:

Post a Comment