Sunday, April 1, 2012

Relativly Speaking

I'm always left wondering why my thoughts trail the way they do.  My thought patterns tend to wander, which if left untamed, can end up in some pretty precarious places.  While sometimes distracted, sometimes this is a good thing.  It allows God to move my motives, and my thinking to something he wants to teach me.

 For whatever reason today, I was thinking about Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales.  The same recorded number feels quite different.  30 Degrees Fahrenheit is pretty cold, but 30 degrees Celsius, not too bad.  The temperatures are only relative to the varying degrees around it on the scales.  Upon further thinking, everything is relative to what is around it.  

You can tell I'm a "Good Christan" by the behavior of my peers, or my social surroundings.  So if that is the case a "Good Christian" can vary quite a bit depending on who you associate with.  We are human, we will always compare.  Its how we figure out property value, job performance, physical fitness, and identity. 

So while I might seem like I have it all together in one surrounding, I will fail hopelessly when put amongst my true comparison, Jesus.  I often find myself fighting off pride.  I see the world around me and I quickly But, I'm pretty sure my "Good Christian" pride adds an haze of smog around my candle in the wind.  Luckily, this comparisson to Christ humbles me, its just what I need.

Jesus is the only thing we have to compare ourselves to.  We are called to imitate Him.  I will never succeed this side of Heaven, but I have a hope in redemption.  That while compared to Him, I will never be "good"; it is though Him and His Spirit that I have the opportunity to overcome and to be welcomed into His presence.  He is the only Good I will ever know, and I am for ever greatfull for His love and so glad He is willing to let me even be compared to Him.

Ephesians 5:1

 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.

No comments:

Post a Comment