Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Risky Obedience

Have you ever done something a little dangerous, something that if you didn't do it just right, your life would be at risk.  Or worse, someone else's?  If you have, you know the adrenaline rush that pulses through your veins, prompting you to have an acute sensitivity to space, time, and to throw out any other distraction.  This often becomes intoxicating and could birth an "adrenaline junkie." 

I'm NOT one of those people.  I really don't like taking risks, and my most recent trip to Valley Fair left me gripped with fear.  The best part, I faced them, I took the risk, and I was able to enjoy quite a bit of thrill.  Its amazing what we can experience if we just throw off our fears, and just do it. 

Obedience is really no different.  The Lord has been challenging me to step out of my comfort zone and take a risk, and other's lives are hanging in the balance.  I have the choice to play it safe, but if I do, its likely more dangerous than if I actually take the plunge. 

Let me tell you a little story, not to glorify myself, or to make Sarah look like an amazing faith filled warrior (If you want to see me that way I can't stop you *wink*), but instead to encourage you to take a risk, and let God take the lead. 

About a month ago our church was having an alter time of prayer for healings.  Amazing testimonies have been coming forward ever since I started attending Brandon Assembly(which at this point was maybe a month).  God is obviousally already working there.

A few days prior to this sunday meeting I was able to meet a mother who's daugher had not slept more than 4 hours a day for nearly a year.  She was plauged with the severest acid reflux she could possibly have.  She threw up everyday, and would never be able to heal from her hernia if this didn't stop.  Any one of these would be enough for a family to deal with, but together, it had left her parents weary to say the least.

Back to the alter time...  I saw her Mother and father bring up their daughter.  I felt a sudden rush of adrenline.  This is the Holy Spirit promping me to go foward and pray for them.  My first thoughts were "I'm new here, I don't know anyone, why me?  I just met them, they won't trust my prayers, My parents are here today!  That would be inconvenient."  The "adrenaline" pushed me foward, I was able to put the thoughts aside and focus on what God was saying. I went foward. 

My mind kept trying to spew garbage at me "Can the Lord really use my prayers?"  I kept reminding myself of the verse for the morning,   The prayer of the righteous man is powerful and effective.  I will lean on this, I know the Lord called me out to pray, I will do it.  I feel bad that my faith is not more, but it is what I have, so it is what I brought before this tired family, and before the King of Kings.  After the service I was able to share with them what I felt the Lord wanted me to say.  I'll admit, I was still a little unsure of myself, but I was still obedient. 

A few days later on Wednesday night, her mother excitedly told me that she had begun sleeping better, about 6 hours a night not 4!  I was extatic.  We would continue thanking God for His works to increase.  The next week things had slipped back, we would not let that discourage, we were holding on to the promises of God.  4 weeks after the first Sunday, her mother reported she was sleeping almost all night, had not thrown up in 3 weeks, and the doctor said her acid reflux was now only mild!!!  That was NOT me, it was GOD! 

Now, I know it was God, but what would have happened if I wasn't willing to take the risk?  What if I hadn't been obedient?  Would God still have healed her?  Probably, He can do that without me.  But you know what?  He didn't want to do it without me, He wanted me to experience that with Him, and her family.  Through my obedience, my faith has skyrocketed.  I know its not my power, I know its not Sarah McCarthy, but you better believe if the Lord is asking me to do something, I'm going to do it!  I'm proud to say I'm not an adrenaline junkie, I'm an obedience junkie! 

I know there are assignments everyday.  Will I focus on what the Lord is calling me to or will I be distracted?  Will I answer these calls with obedience or with the fear of man?  Throw off your fears, your excuses, put aside your inadequicies and let the Holy Spirit guide you in obedience.  The rewards are so much greater than the risk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment