Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Alterations at the Alter

alter:
1. To change or make different; modify: altered my will.
2. To adjust (a garment) for a better fit.
To change or become different.
1. The act, process, or result of altering or modifying: a change in facial expression.
2. The replacing of one thing for another; substitution: a change of atmosphere; a change of ownership.
3. A transformation or transition from one state, condition, or phase to another: the change of seasons.
4. Something different; variety: ate early for a change.
5. A different or fresh set of clothing.
Have you ever taken something to the tailor so it would fit you better?  I love my tailor.  She takes my clothes that don't quite fit and makes them flatter me.  She takes the clothes and alters them.  Do you realize that is what Christ does for you?  God has been showing me that the "alter" is not only a noun.  Its a verb!  And its so much more powerful as a verb.  An alter is a place to bring your heart to God, a place to war on behalf of others, a place to be filled with His spirit, but what takes place there is an alteration, an action.  You shouldn't take your garment of praise there and leave without if fitting better.  When you leave the alter, God should "fit" you better.  And you can't wear Him the way you used to.
 Once you alter a piece of clothing its hard to put it back the way it was.  This is how we should be, once we allow Christ to alter our hearts, we shouldn't allow ourselves to go back, we can't put on the old clothes because they no longer fit us.  Once we allow Him to replace our pain and sorrow with freedom and love, we shouldn't react to painful situations the way we used to.  After the alter, we transition from "old" to "new".  We put on our new clothes in Christ.  So, if my life is an alter, my life is changed, I am new in Christ.  I will not allow myself to hide behind the walls of pain.  I will take chances, because I know I'm the same person God created, just a better "fit."  God now "fits" on me, because He has altered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment