Friday, July 27, 2012

Homesick

Have you ever been homesick for a place that no longer exists?  I often feel so hurt for those who loose their homes to natural disasters.  They return home, to find nothing left.  Nothing is the way it was before.  I'm sure they are homesick for that past, but its just not there. 

Sometimes I feel so heart sick for the past, for my old "homes."  There are always spaces in time that you will hold dear to your heart.  It almost makes you homesick to think back on them, wishing you could get that little piece back; but it no longer exists.  That space is gone.  God has moved you on to a new "home." 

Lot's wife was obviously homesick as her husband dragged her from their destroyed city.  She couldn't help but look back.  She didn't fare well.  Like her, I'm so tempted to look back and try to stay in the past, but I'm afraid I won't fare well. 

The Lord has so much for me in my new place if I am willing to stop looking back, and begin letting go of what is comfortable, let go of what I've always known.  I can, after all, trust Him.  God doesn't force us out.  He is so patient with us. God doesn't always move us into a larger home.  Sometimes He asks us to downsize.  There is no extra room for all the things we have accumulated over our lives.  You know how it is, have a few kids, or "projects", and you can have quite a haul.  This requires a little more work, its harder to move on if we have to let go of so much.  But we can not hold on to everything, we have to purge our garbage to have God's treasures. He allows us the time we need to pack and sort and throw out  our stuff.  But all the time He is helping and waiting, He is also so busy creating us an even more beautiful space then the one He has moved us from. 

Moving is hard work, back-breaking work.  Packing, hauling, unpacking, but God is the ultimate moving crew.  He is helping us relocate.  And usually by the time you are done packing all our clutter, when we are done looking back, He already has the dinner table set, and the pictures on the wall.  Awesome, now lets sit and feast with HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment