Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Be Here Now

Sometimes I feel like Paul.  Writing letters to the church from a prison cell.  Now, I know my home should be a place of refuge and joy, but sometimes it feels like I'm stuck here, in a prison, and I'm trying to escape.  Don't get me wrong, I love my journey through motherhood and all that God has given me, but I also struggle with the mundane daily grind, the screams of unhappy children, the unrelenting task of cleaning up after everyone.  I fall short, and I don't always ask God to carry the burdens I feel, I forget that He has already given me everything I need to continue on with this assignment, so instead I try to escape.  I find myself, far too often, hiding in front of the computer, trying to escape to a little bit of the outside world, I still sometimes slip up and use food to quench my frustration, I yell at the children God has given me, I get busy with cleaning and I sometimes just throw my hands up and give up with eyes full of tears.  This is probably the best of all of them, when I realize that I can't do anything and I give it up to God.  Unfortunately, I don't always do this first.  I try to find ways to take care of it on my own.

Whatever is going on in that moment is my opportunity to share what God has given me to share.  If its a crying child, I need to be the love of Jesus, show compassion and tenderness; if its daily cleaning, I need to remember this is a blessing to my family to care for them.  I need to be present, I need to be there, whatever it is.  I can't escape and try to run from my duty.  I have one life to live, I don't want to cheat anyone out of the blessing God has sent me to give.  Being present in each moment is the most precious gift I can give to anyone.  I have a role to play that isn't replaceable by anyone else.  You have a part that I can not play, we have to stand up and take our place, we need to be here now! 

If you find yourself distracted by daily tasks, remind yourself to live in each moment.  What is more important right now?  Are the dishes more important than spending time with the ones you love, does it have to be done now?  I'm not saying be lazy, don't clean, or don't take care of yourself or essential tasks, but I'm realizing the devil has used distraction and the need for perfection to pull me away from what God has called me to do.  Make sure your life has balance and God is the weight that stabilizes you, make sure you are present, walk through every door God opens, and don't pass up the opportunity to be here now!

Ephesians 5:15-17
Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.  So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

No comments:

Post a Comment