Friday, December 31, 2010

Faithful Dilligence

I remember being a child and watching my mom do all the mom things and wonder how I would ever learn to do all of that.  How do you know when to call the doctor? I'm still not sure of that one, bad example.  What number do you call to switch your kids school, how do I drive, or even make more than toast for dinner?  Its a good thing we learn along the way.  I didn't learn all of this at once, but rather in small steps. 

Things are no different in our relationship with God.  Oswald Chambers has a quote that loosely says, God will not reveal more of Himself until we have been faithful and obedient with what He has already shown us or asked of us.  I wasn't able to get my drivers license until I could prove faithful and obedient with my learners permit.  My mom didn't let me cook on the stove until I showed responsibility with the toaster.  God will not give you more until you have shown that you are ready.  He knows what we can handle and what would be entirely too overwhelming for us.  Thank God for that! 

If you feel like God is not giving you more, take a step back and ask yourself again what He has asked you to do, or ask Him again if you've forgotten or lost sight of it.  He'll illuminate the path and give clear direction.  Maybe not the entire map, but at least a piece.  Our job is to love first, and obey, beyond that, its not our job.  We need to make sure we are doing what God has called us to do, be faithful in that, and let Him handle the rest.  That takes so much pressure off when you know the entire universe isn't on your shoulders.  This alone will give you the freedom to love and to do what God has called of you.

Sometimes this is a slow process.  The other day my son wanted me to measure his height.  He was the same, 47 3/4" that he was in November.  "Mom, I thought I grew every night?" he said with disappointment.  "You do, Jack, but sometimes its very slow." I replied.  And so it is with us.  Sometimes I feel like I'm standing still, barley moving in my relationship with God.  But before long, I'll look back and see myself miles from where I started.  God moves us at just the right speed.  Be at peace with the pace, and faithful to the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment