Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Intentions

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" was an old adage I learned in High School.  Maybe you've heard of it.  But I don't entirely agree with it.  Words and actions even in the best of intentions are easily mis-conveyed, misunderstood, and misleading.  The Internet has poured the gasoline of misunderstanding all over the written word.  Its hard to tell a person's real intent when you aren't hearing their voice, or seeing their face; eye to eye contact goes a long way in a conversation. 

I believe it all goes back to the heart.  If we know someones heart, it is easier to discern their intentions.  We sometimes don't understand the things God allows in our life, or the things He asks us to do, but if we remember His heart is good, then He will not fail us or ask us to do something without protection or a plan.  This should be the same in our relationships with other Christians.

I know sometimes someone will say something to me, and it might sting a little.  I have to take that, let the Holy Spirit wind blow on the open wound and show me what to do with this hurt.  Do I take offence and run with it, pouring on the sorrow, and eating a tub of ice cream with it?  Or do I use the Holy Spirit to discern the heart of the message and messenger?  This latter option will take me much farther in my maturity with Christ and my relationships with people and allow me to learn so much more.

 We need to be able to take criticism without hurt, we need to be able to not take offence for things that were not said out of condemnation.  Sometimes our past hurts will turn warm words of love into hurling insults.  The devil knows all bout your pains and will use any circumstance to put you right back in them. 

In the same token, when we approach people we need to keep in mind that we are to encourage and edify, and correction without love is condemnation.  No man can tie you to your sin, God hasn't given that authority to any man.  We are to gently steer, pray for, and love each other.  We were created as relational beings, offence and misunderstanding are the great isolators.  And that is exactly where the devil wants you to be, alone.  An easy target on the fence post. 

There is a great story about this in 2 Corinthians 2.  Paul talks to the Corinthians about what to do with the hurts of correction.  Its not always easy, but sometimes it is nessesary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment