Monday, January 31, 2011

21 Days

My fast is now complete, but my fasting lifestyle is not.  If the last 21 days have taught nothing else, I have realized the need for less distraction.  We are constantly bombarded with media at every corner, we have endless possibilities to keep us entertained, and heaven forbid if we ever get "bored". 

Fasting brings an opportunity to keep distraction at bay and keep an open door to God.  There is still so much more I need to learn about fasting, but I do know I've been challenged and I've grown in the last few weeks.  Proof that there is truth to be found here.

Before I began this journey I kept a safe place in my life for my facebook account.  I checked it several times a day and I called it my "brain break."  Cute, and justified, but just as much of a problem as any other distraction.  I was aware of the time it took away from God, my children, and normal thought so I began to pull away even before these last 21 days.   I missed it far less then I would have thought.  It was somewhat of an inconvenience(harder to communicate via a larger group), but so was the outhouse, and they all lived fairly well before plumbing. 

The first week I found myself wanting to share what God was showing me, I wanted everyone to enjoy what He was saying to me.  God lovingly reminded me, that this was my time in the desert (Hosea 2:14-23
14 “But then I will win her back once again.I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her there.), He was quietly whispering into my ear and I should enjoy this time of closeness without distraction.  I wish to always live in that place, a place where I can hear his voice so clearly, where its just He and I.  But, that is not the life he has called for me.  I can not just learn and not share.  So for a moment, I was away, in the desert with my father, but now He has called me out to again minister, and to share the words from His heart.

I'm excited about the adventure in sharing; but as the end of the fast approached I was hesitant to be so vulnerable again, sharing my heart, my thoughts and my emotions.  After being alone in God's safety for three weeks, I kind of wanted to stay there. We all want to be noticed, but as soon as someone notices, I want to shy away and hide, "what if they don't like what they see?"  Thankfully, that's not my problem.  I just have to be sure I'm hearing and sharing exactly what God says and I'm not liable for anything else but loving.

So there you have it.  I continued blogging, so if you want a more accurate picture of what I've been learning over the last few weeks, its all in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment