Monday, January 24, 2011

New Jeans from Jesus

I"ve been referencing a quote from Staci Eldredge in "Captivating" a lot this week, the difference between "redeemed Eve" and "Fallen Eve".  Fallen Eve, takes the hurts of people and makes vows, promises to herself to never be in that situation again.  She ends up alone and empty.  A sitting target for the devil really.  On the other hand redeemed Eve realizes that people will likely hurt her, and won't live up to the desires of her human heart.  But, she takes it all in stride, and decides the gains of companionship far out weighs the total loss of heart and the loneliness of solitary.

She goes on to say that Redeemed Eve knows who she is and whose she is.  I've said that quite a few times over the last six months.  I knew who I was, and I certainly knew I belonged to Jesus.  This last week I realized that I don't know who I am anymore.  My identity is shifting from one facet to another.  I'm in new clothes, in a new place and I feel naked and vulnerable.  I don't like it.

Identity isn't finite.  Its not something that will always be the same.  We are constantly evolving.  God moves us to different assignments, and is constantly reworking us so we can become more like Jesus.  The rewards and the end result is always amazing, but the journey its not always easy. 

God reminded me yesterday, where ever he takes me, I'm not alone, and I'm not going first.  He has made me a new robe of righteousness, a new garment of praise.  My clothes are being altered, my old clothes shed.  They don't fit anymore.  My comforts have been lifted and this makes me doubt myself, but rely that much more on Him.  As I rely on Him and let Him do this new work in me, He will continue to alter this new garment until it fits, and I will know who I am again, a new creation in Christ.

 I don't want to put on my old clothes, they won't fit.  I don't want to go back.  I don't want the hand me downs, I want new designer denim!

No comments:

Post a Comment