Saturday, October 30, 2010

Monday Morning Restoration

"There comes a time in the life of every believer when propositional truth is no longer enough.  It will always remain central, the foundation for our faith.  And sometimes it is all we have, and we can run far and long on it.  But we are made for intimacy with God, not just knowledge about him."

This was in the study notes on Captivating last week.  My eyes were really opened to the fact that a lot of us haven't really discovered the relationship that Jesus really desires and created us for.  I was talking to the girls at my study last Wednesday about how I used to feel a very heavy burden in my relationship with God; I felt that if I didn’t do what was right I’d feel the wrath of God.  I know quiet a few christians have this "Old Testament" view of God. The love of Jesus wasn’t the center of my relationship and true passion, Bridegroom passion, is lacking in so many of us.  For a long time I was very dry, I was ready to be burnt up and blown away like chaff.  I only had my fire insurance.  I went to church, served, and “played the part” of godly mother.  But I had no passion. 


I was tired of the emotional highs and lows that seemed to follow the charismatic services.  All of my life was riddled with such people who would have these great experiences at the alter, and there would be no change, nothing to show for it, no true, lasting heart change.  I didn't want to be one of those people, I decided I wouldn’t peruse or go any deeper then I needed.  I didn’t want my relationship with Jesus to be based on shallow emotion or heavy burdens.  I didn’t want to put in the work it required to have true devotion and passion beyond the alter experience, so I stayed stagnant.  But I was tired.  I wasn't putting anything into my relationship with God, but what I didn’t realize was that the more I would give, the easier it would get.  So now, I know there is no other option but to be real.  To be the one to lay on the alter, pouring my life out to Him, but I will not allow my life to stay the same.  No, this is not easy, it takes real effort to not fall back into the same ways of coping.  I need to allow my heart to stay open to Jesus long after I leave the alter.  My life needs to be an alter, set up before Him.  Only then will we allow Him to restore our hearts, to have true heart changes that last past Sunday morning. 

Ezekiel 33:31
My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment